Sunday, May 11, 2014

Strawberries & Warm enough to Garden

Garden
strawberry plant with berries ripening
In the strawberry field
I am real excited about this years strawberries. On May 3rd, a week ago Friday, we had 27 degrees.  A hard freeze.  At the time there were hundreds of blooms on the plants.  I started running the wobbler sprinklers about 11:00 Thursday night when the temperature hit 39.  At 5:30 Friday morning the temp was 27 and the plants were completely encased in ice. Every leaf, every petal on every flower.  My stomach clenched.  I had bought the sprinklers to protect the plants from late frost.  I din't know what to expect from a hard freeze.  I waited until all the ice was melted even in the shadows until I turned the sprinklers off. About 10:00.   Late Friday afternoon the plants were looking wonderful.  They loved the water, of course, and the ice seemed to have protected them from any damage.   Those sprinklers are wonderful.  I'm going to use them on trees and berries and many other plants to extend the season and ensure plant productivity from now on.  Today the berries are growing and I'm watching them all the time hoping to start seeing color..Did I tell you that I am excited about my strawberries? 
hatch pepper plants transplanted into garden beds
 Ye Haw I'm ready to garden! 
After that hard freeze it got real hot.  I decided that no more frost was likely so I transplanted peppers (some shown here), tomatoes, cukes, raspberries and more throughout this last week.

6 comments:

  1. There are lots of us excited about your strawberries, Bones! And I look forward to following your blog. Off to a great start in this year's garden, and in the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HELLO DEAR FRIEND BONES---- CHERYL UNRUH TOLD ME ABOUT YOUR BLOG--- I COULD BE YELLING--& EXCITED TO FIND YOU BLOG--- BUT MY MCS IS STILL BAD & I CAN'T SEE-- SO I STILL TYPE IN ALL CAPS-- & YOU KNOW ME WELL ENOUGH TO KNOW WHEN I'M YELLING WITH EXCITEMENT-- :) OR JUST TALKING!!! :) I'LL BE FOLLOWING YOUR BLOG-- AND MAY I SHARE YOUR BLOG-- ON MY MCS BLOG???????? HTTP://SONDASMCSCHATTER.WORDPRESS.COM I STILL HAVE OVER 1,500 SISTERS WHO ALSO SUFFER FROM MCS & LIVE ALL OVER THE WORLD-- WHO STILL E-MAIL ME ALL THE TIME-- THEY READ MY BLOG BUT DON'T COMMENT ON IT-- THEY E-MAIL ME!!! :) THEY WOULD LOVE YOUR BLOG-- SOOOOOOO GLAD CHERYL TOLD ME ABOUT YOUR BLOG!!!! LOVE YA-- TELL KIM --HI!! AND THE BOYS!! I KNOW YOU CAN'T LEAVE YOUR GARDEN-- BUT YOU ARE WELCOME IN BRANSON ANY TIME!! GARY & I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE YA FOR A VISIT!! I COULD TUNE UP MY WASHBOARD-- & WE COULD PLAY HERE IN BRANSON-- OUR FRIEND TED LANDPHAIR RETIRED FROM VOA--SO NO MORE VOA GIGS!!! :) HOW ARE YOUR CHOPS????? I WILL BE A FAITHFUL FOLLOWER OF YOU BLOG!!! GLAD YOU STARTED A BLOG!!!! HUGS-- BONES!!! LATER---

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Sonda sent me over to have a look at your blog. I love it. I love growing things so I look forward to seeing more of your posts. I wish I could figure out how to follow your blog like I follow Sonda's. I automatically see her posts whenever she publishes a new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sarah, i added a button that allows you to receive an email when I post. I will look into other ways of following the posts. I'm new to the blogosphere so i have a lot to learn. Sonda and I go way back. We both hold each other very dear to our hearts. Having Sonda and Gary as good friends is another way that makes me feel truly blessed. Thanks for following my blog.

      Delete
    2. The email option is perfect. Thanks for adding it. :D
      You might be new to the blogosphere but you're doing a great job. I hope you have fun with it.

      Delete
  4. HI- YA BONES-- I AGREE WITH SARAH- MY FRIEND FROM IRELAND--WISH I COULD FIGURE HOW TO FOLLOW YOUR BLOG ALSO-- AS I AM WITH WORDPRESS-- AS YOU KNOW BY NOW-- I DID A BLOG ABOUT YOU TODAY ON MY MCS CHATTER BLOG-- I GOT E-MAILS FROM SEVERAL OF MY MCS SISTERS SAYING--- YOU KNOW THE MOST INTERESTING PEOPLE!!!! I'LL GIVE THAT A BIG AMEN!!!!! :) I PROMISE I WON'T TELL EVERYTHING I KNOW ABOUT YOU-- IF YOU WON'T ABOUT ME!!! :)

    ReplyDelete