Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Like a gift from Heaven

My Dad was born and raised on a 40 acre dirt farm out in the boonies between Springdale and Fayetteville, Arkansas.  Back when there was a between Springdale and Fayetteville, Arkansas.   He and his mom raised fruit and vegetables, pigs, chickens, etc.

We left the farm when I was little but my Dad always gardened no matter where we lived.   As he got older he kind of got more into growing flowers than vegetables.  Though he always grew a few vegetables.  He really got interested in roses and irises.  Over many years I would bring home from his house an iris bulb or few and plant them around the place.  I liked the solid color ones ,  the brightly colored kind.  Pops liked the frilly delicate kind.  Well, he liked them all but he especially liked the  fancy ones.  Dad died about 7 years ago.  A couple of years ago, I dug up and moved a few more iris from Mom’s yard because we were thinking about her moving.  I picked the solid color kind.  I like the yellow and the lavender purple.   


 Pop's Iris

The other day I went up to get in the car and right by the driveway in the pile of rocks this iris was blooming.  I did a double take and walked over to it.  How did that get here?  I looked at it for a couple of minutes and then I said out loud, “I miss you, too, Pops.”   Seems like he wanted me to know that he likes what I’m doing.  I immediately thought I’m going to move this to a place of honor somewhere in the garden.  But a good friend who I showed the flower to said that I should leave it where Pops put it.  Of course.  You're right, Tom.


 Robyn, Stryker & Plato

The pile of rocks is there for a stock pile to build a stone wall.  I started building the wall a few years back.  I keep working on it whenever I feel like picking up 50 to 100 pound rocks.  Which these days isn’t very often.  I’m slow but I’m eventual.     Robyn, my middle son, is standing in front of a part of the wall that is completed.  Beside him is his very smart, well behaved german shepherd, Stryker.   Plato at his feet.  I'll carefully remove the rocks  from around the iris as I use them to continue the wall.  Sure was glad Robyn was able to come visit.

A Quick Couple of notes:

 Look what I got to have for lunch yesterday.

 this year's first tomatoes

First tomatoes of the year may not be much to look at.  May have an insect bite or two.  But I sure do like being reminded of why we like to have home grown tomatoes.  Yummmmmm



The other day I had my first ripe strawberry.  A couple of days ago I harvested 2 pounds of ripe strawberries.  But I feel lucky when I start carrying trays up from the garden.  We’re going to have a couple of weeks of tasty.   

1 comment:

  1. AWESOME-- BLOG POST--- GOOD TO SEE ROBIN--- I UNDERSTAND ABOUT THE GIFT FROM HEAVEN!!! WE HAVE GREEN TOMATOES!!! :)

    ReplyDelete