Monday, May 12, 2014

Rain, Berries, and Plato

collet creek is running
 Collett Creek 
 Finally we had some rain.  A little more than an inch and a half.  More than we've had since last August.  It's nice to see the creek running strong again.  The storm did come with some damage.  Lightning hit the house at 2:30 a.m. this morning and blew an outlet apart.  It also fried that circuit's breaker.  This makes about the 4th time the house has been hit by lightning since 1977.  The other times the lightning did a lot more damage than this time.
  Thank goodness the thunder storm came with rain to help my garden grow
wild blackberries
 Looking Forward to Blackberries
This is the very first bloom open on the blackberries this year.  They are way late.  This rain sure will be good for them.  I was just getting ready to set up sprinklers for them today.  Now I won't have to (yet).
mastiff catahoula
My dog, Plato.
Plato's mother and father are owned by Josh and Gwen Hoy of the Flying W Ranch.  His mother is a Mastiff and his father a Catahoula Cur.  Plato is almost a year and half old.  He's a good dog; friendly with people, ferocious with wildlife to protect the garden, well behaved, and a pretty good size.   At the end of this year I am going to teach him to pull a cart.  Put that big eater to work.  I'm so glad the Hoy's let me have one of their puppies.

3 comments:

  1. PLATO PULLING A CART--- :) I HOPE YOUR EXPERIENCES ARE BETTER THEN SOME WITH OUR HORSES OVER THE YEARS & PULLING A CART-- I STILL HAVE SCARS!!! :) AND RUN -A- WAY TEAM OF BELIGIUMS & WITH DAD'S COVER WAGON--HEADED FOR THE FUNERAL HOME!!! :) OH-- MY THOSE WERE THE YEARS!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the damage didn't take too long to get fixed. We've had a few lightning strikes on our house here in Ireland too. No structural damage, but it has trashed quite a few bits of electrical equipment.
    Plato's a bit bigger than Sonda's new dog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI BONES-- I SEE ONE OF MY BLOGGER FRIENDS SARAH FROM IRELAND FOUND YOUR BLOG---
    I DID A BLOG POST ABOUT YA TODAY-----
    http://sondasmcschatter.wordpress.com/2014/05/14/may-14-14-bones/

    ReplyDelete